Apply a homemade cleaning solution to clean off the shoe stains. Use a brush or cloth to wipe away the dirt or dust. Or you can use protectant spray to be extra cautious and limit the casualties.
How Do You Clean Velvet Shoes at Home?
An impressive pair of velvet shoes can be a classy choice for your outfit. Velvet fabrics and garments are very elegant which we do not wear regularly. And as a part of your premium outfit for a special party or an occasion, the pair of velvet shoes require proper maintenance and care.
Though cleaning a pair of velvet shoes can be tricky, if you follow the methods and use the right tools, you can clean it easily. Let’s go over the methods:
Method-1: Cleaning up the stains on the shoe
- Make sure to use microfiber cloths for blotting up stains. Before the stain dries completely, lightly dab at the stained area using the cloth. Microfiber cloths are very absorbent. If you don’t have microfiber cloths, try using something else absorbent, such as a regular cloth or a paper towel.
- Make your cleaning solution to clean off stains. Take a small bowl of water and add 1-2 squirts of dishwashing liquid and mix it.
- After that, use a toothbrush to apply a minimum amount of mixture to the stained part of your shoes.
- Use a microfiber cloth or an absorbent fabric to soak up the stain remover mixed areas.
- If the stain is persistent, it’s better to leave it to a professional. Velvet is a tricky material, so don’t get rough on your shoes to get the stain out yourself. It may be best to find a professional shoe cleaner who has experience.
Method-2: Cleaning dust and dirt
- If your velvet shoes are wet and muddy, you need to wait for your shoes to dry off. It’s easy to damage velvet shoes when they are wet. Better cleaning them when they are no longer wet.
- After the shoes are completely dry, use a clean and soft cloth to clean dirt or the dust on the shoes. If it doesn’t work, try using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- To keep your velvet shoes away from dust, clean them every time after wearing them. Brush them with a clothing brush or with a soft-bristled brush. It will keep the dust and dirt to a minimum.
Method-3: Using a protectant spray
- First of all, choose a protectant spray that is safe for your velvet shoes. Most people would suggest you avoid fabric and furniture protectant sprays as they are not always safe on velvet. Read the label to check out the suitableness of the spray for your velvet shoes.
- After buying a protectant spray make sure to test it out first. Spray it a little on the back of your shoe and observe if it leaves a negative effect on it or not. If it darkens the color or hardens the material try avoiding it.
- Hold it at least 6 inches away from the shoe or it might damage your shoes.
- Lastly, let the shoes dry before you wear them.
Can You Put Velvet Shoes in the Washing Machines?
As velvet is a delicate fabric, you can’t rub as much as other materials. Even though it can be washed by a washing machine, we would suggest not to do so.
If you are planning to wash these in the washing machine, make sure not to use hot water and use less detergent.
Getting Scuff Marks Out of Velvet Shoes
Use an eraser to remove the scuff marks on the shoes. Gently rub the eraser back and forth on the stained areas until the marks lift out. If it leaves eraser shaving, then use a suede brush to clean it off. You can use either a suede eraser or a pinch pencil eraser will also do.
This method is pretty effective and magical. Try it on your own to figure it out.
Does Water Ruin Velvet?
Velvet is prone to water. If your try to clean your velvet shoes or brush them while they are wet, it may damage your shoes. If you get your velvet shoes wet by somehow any chance, make sure to dry them off completely before doing anything.
Hard water is dangerous for velvets. It also might leave some white stains on the shoes. You can clean off those stains by using a mixed cleaning solution. Better not get your velvet shoes wet, as velvet is prone to water damage.
Refreshing Velvet Shoes
Velvet shoes are renowned for their softness and their luxurious appearance. Its softness fades over time if you wear them frequently. You can refresh your velvet shoes in two ways. First, make a mixture of vinegar and water, mix them with the mixture. Also, make sure not to saturate them. Leave them overnight to dry off. And the second method is to sprinkle baking soda over and inside the shoes.
Get Oil Stains Out of Your Velvet Shoes
Got some annoying oil stains on your velvet shoes? No problem, follow these simple steps to get the oil stains out of the shoes:
1. Use a soft cloth to blot the oil or grease.
2. Sprinkle a short amount of cornstarch or baby powder on the stain and leave it for an hour.
3. After that brush away the cornstarch and use a soapy cloth to warm the area.
4. Wipe the area and make sure not to over-saturate.
5. Before you brush, leave the area to air dry.
6. Repeat the process until the stain is removed.
Q: Can you steam velvet shoes?
Ans: Velvet is famous for its softness and elegant appearance. Steam helps to restore the nap on the velvet shoes. This way you can restore the velvet shoes that are crushed. You can use a steamer or hang the shoes in the bathroom with a hot shower on for like 15 minutes or so. This restored the nap on the shoes.
Q: Can you make velvet waterproof?
Ans: Using a protective coating won’t make the shoe waterproof completely. A protective coating will help your shoes to protect from water damages and stains. But before you do that make sure the product is safe on velvet. Otherwise, it is the same result damaging your shoes.
As velvets are sensitive material, make sure not to use hot water for cleaning since the fabric will be damaged. Also, remember that they shouldn’t get too wet as an excessive amount of moisture can cause permanent damage. So, avoid wearing your velvet shoes when it’s raining or snowing outside.