Use a shoe or a boot stretcher after spraying your boots with a boot stretching spray for the best results. You can also use a broomstick which is a quicker method, whereas the freezing and the heating procedure takes more time.
How to Widen Steel Toe Boots?
If you want to widen your steel toe boots you have to expand some of the layers of fabric inside the shoe and put in a thinner insole. The toe box of steel toe boots is made from steel designed to take enormous pressure. You can’t just widen the shoes further than the confines of the steel toe insert.
However, there are still many ways to stretch them out. There are a couple of processes or methods you can follow:
Method-1: Using a Broomstick to Stretch
This procedure requires a broomstick or mop stick which can be found in literally every household.
- If your boots are made of leather, apply some leather conditioner. This is optional.
- Get a broomstick for this task. Then insert the end of the broomstick through the opening of the boot. Let the bottom of the stick rest on the ground and hold the stick about ⅓ of the way from the top. After that insert the top of the stick.
- Put more strength to push hard on the boot. You need to see the end of the outline of the broomstick’s tip while pushing and poking all around. Change the position of the broomstick after 10-20 seconds. The broom handles can stretch the areas around it through this process.
- Try to bend the toe and heel back and forth to stretch the boots. Repeat the whole process two or three times.
You can use this freezing technique to widen your steel-toe boots. This is an easy and convenient process that can be done easily.
- Get a pair of plastic bags filled with water. Fill the water in almost half or more of the bag.
- Push the bags inside the shoes and make sure it does fill the toe. This ensures the stretching of the toe area.
- Place the boots in the freezer overnight filled with water bags inside. Let the bags freeze.
- After you get out the shoes from the freezer, wait for them to warm up. Before the shoes completely warms up try them on if they fit.
Using heat to widen your steel toe boot can also be an effective method. It’s simple and easy.
- First of all, put on pair of thick socks and put on your boots.
- Set the dryer settings to medium. Then use the dryer on the targeted areas you want to stretch. Use the dryer from a safe distance. Use a dryer if only your boots are made from leather.
- Apply a leather conditioner on the boots after that.
Method-4: Two-way Shoe Stretcher
Using a stretcher is one of the most effective methods in this case but it’s a little costly. However, if you don’t mind spending a few bucks, this method is worth the money.
- Be sure to apply leather conditioner if your boot is made from leather.
- Keep turning the widening and the lengthening handles of the stretcher until it is small enough to fit into the boot.
- Keep turning the lengthening wheel until the stretcher snugs into the boot and also similarly adjust the width. After perfectly snugging the stretcher into the boot, turn the lengthening and widening wheels on each 3 more times.
- Leave the boots with a stretcher for a day. Try them on after a day if they fit in.
Break-in Steel-Toe Shoes
Before you start to wear them for a day and regularly, start wearing them for an hour or more in a week. You can try wearing your boots with thick socks. Try using hiking socks that are bulkier and provides an extra heel pad that helps to stretch inside. Wearing thick socks might be effective in breaking your boots.
Can You Widen Your Steel-Toe Shoes?
Of course, there is a certain limit to widening a steel-toe shoe. The only way you might find to widen the steel-toe shoes is to expand some of the layers of fabric inside the shoes and putting a thinner insole. The toe box is made from steel and can handle an immense amount of pressure. You can’t widen the shoes further than the bounds of the steel toe insert.
Steel Toe Boots Good or Bad
Steel toe shoes are regularly worn by construction or industry site workers for safety reasons. These shoes protect the feet from heavy fallen objects. So, if you’re one of the daily users, you can’t just throw out your steel toe boots in a corner because they don’t fit.
The reason your feet get damaged or uncomfortable feeling using your steel toe boots is that they are not fitting well. Not wearing well-sized steel-toe boots can damage your toe muscles and provide you with a lot of pain.
Painful corns, chafing and other foot pains might occur. So, you need to avoid wearing your steel toe boots if they are poor fitting. Get them stretched if you need to.
Wearing Steel Toe Boots in Winter
Steel-toe boots are a good option when it comes to harsh winter conditions. If you have a quality pair of winter insulated steel toe shoes, it might help you in a lot of ways in winter. Wearing steel-toe shoes in the winter while conducting outdoor activities keeps your feet warm and cozy. This does make a big difference in owning this pair of shoes.
Are Steel-Toe Boots Worth It?
Steel toe boots have a different objective. It has a protective reinforcement on the toe which protects the toe from falling objects. Steel-toe shoes are a better choice for the people working in warehousing jobs, as heavy items can fall on your feet while working there. These steel-toe shoes might be able to protect your feet from this accident.
Q: What is the point of steel-toe boots?
Ans: The main purpose of steel-toe boots is to avoid feet injuries. There is a special reinforcement in the toe of the boot so that it protects your feet from falling objects or other accidents. It also prevents injuries like cuts, falls, slipping, punctures and burns. As the steel-toe boots are sturdier it helps to prevent injuries like these.
Q: Can a horse crush a steel-toe boot?
Ans: We would suggest you not wear steel-toe boots around horses. If the horses land your boot, the metal will bend and it might cut your toes off. You need to avoid wearing steel-toe shoes around horses, better wear paddock boots to avoid accidents.
Make sure to give a trial before you buy it from a local store and check if those boots fit in your feet correctly. If you buy from an online store or can’t find your perfect size, feel that those are too tight then don’t worry. You can always use one of the methods mentioned above and widen those all by yourself.