Running is a great activity that has been significantly proposed by health therapists because of its associated health benefits.
Running helps you to shed off excess calories, enhances your performance, and improves the circulation of blood and oxygen to different parts of your body.
How To Start Running When Overweight
What are the best running shoes for an overweight person? Although there is an expansive option of shoes for an overweight person, a few shoe alternatives hit the bar of suitable shoes.
The article will take you through a journey that will help you understand the biology behind running and weight distribution, features to look for in shoes if you are overweight, and the best shoe alternatives for you.
The Biology Behind Running
According to running experts, it has been verified that during walking, your body exerts approximately one and a half times your weight to your shoes. On the other hand, during running, your body exerts an impact that is about three times your body weight.
From the above fact, it is imperative that you select the most appropriate running shoe for your body weight so that you enjoy a safe exciting running experience. Indeed, choosing the right kind of shoe to support your weight if you are overweight is even more crucial.
Attributes To Look For In Shoes If You Are Overweight
According to human biology, you are said to be overweight if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is between 25 and 29.9. Insist on the following characteristics:
1. Proper Shock Absorption- Notably, purchasing a shoe that can take hard impacts from your body weight during running is the first step in the right direction.
2. Maximum Traction With the Ground- The higher your body weight, the more traction you will require with the ground for a safer and more comfortable running experience.
3. Light-Weight Shoe Options- The last thing you want to hear as an overweight person is more weight on you. Therefore, selecting shoes that are light in weight will go a long way in minimizing the load you will have to bear while running.
4. Maximum Energy Return- Maximum energy return from your shoes will ensure that all the reaction force you get from your shoes is involved in thrusting you forward.
The Best Running Shoes Options
The following points highlight some of the viable running shoe options which will effectively distribute your body weight and assure you of maximum stability and balance during running:
1. Saucony Triumph ISO 5- Coupled with excellent cushioning materials, great traction with the ground, and efficient upper supports, this shoe is a viable alternative for your running activities.
2. Asics Gel Kayano 25- These shoes are designed with light-weight materials which will help you traverse miles and miles with ease. In addition, the shoes are designed with excellent cushioning materials that absorb shocks effectively.
3. Altra Paradigm 4.0- The shoe is designed with a broader toe area that enhances your comfort while running. Also, the sole of the shoe is designed with a robust shock-absorbing material which will comfortably take your impacts as you run.
4. Saucony Redeemer ISO 2- The shoe is an excellent alternative for running if you have flat feet. Also, the shoe is designed with a dense cushion material that protects your feet from injuries as you run across rugged terrains. The shoe also has an exceptional sole design which helps you balance in case you have an unstable gait.
5. Hoka One One Gaviota- The shoe is designed with lightweight materials which offer maximum stability and excellent arch support. Also, the shoe has a well-cushioned sole which will comfortably take your impacts as you run.
Sometimes we ignore the importance of the right shoes for particular physical activity and it is very common to use walking shoes for running or vice-versa. Since you are an overweight person and want to control your weight by running you must be aware of the difference between running shoes and walking shoes and choose the right pair to achieve your goal.
From the options provided above on ‘What are the best running shoes for an overweight person?’, it is critical to understand that there is the right running footwear for you despite your weight.
Furthermore, choosing the right running shoe will go a long way in protecting you from knee injuries, overpronation, and supination.